Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A personal note: Macintosh hardware specs upgrades...

I just went to the Apple Store a couple of days ago to enquire about the prices of upgrading my permanent hard disk memory space and my RAM.

Because of my Macbook being part of Apple, and that I cannot upgrade at a third party without voiding the warranty, I had to go there.

- and boy did I get a surprise, and not of the good kind. More like more than a bit shocking. This is because it costs $900 to upgrade the RAM from 2GB to 4GB and the hard disk from 100GB to 150GB.

Also, in part because of my Macbook that now has the Intel chip installed, my laptop is able to run Vista. But my Vista hard disk is only 25GB, and I need a higher amount of hard disk space, and because Vista consumes more RAM, I need more too.

But in light of the overall costs, I have to consider much more right now. For now, Vista will probably have MS Office 2007, Quicktime and an anti-virus/fire wall program. All games may be off until I have found a solution to this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recommend that you do the upgrade yourself. You save lots of money.

Anonymous said...

Apple is over-priced in everything. That is why I did my own RAM upgrade for my PowerPC iBook. Also, my next computer after my iBook is the Lenovo Y410 with Windows Vista Home Premium. Apple is history for me, not even the iPhone.
Good Luck my friend.